April 01, 2016
The world of perfume sales
is filled with different kinds of fragrances. Maybe you've been wondering why some fragrances last longer than others or why some have a more intense scent. Keep reading to discover the answers to these questions.
If you've ever tested samples in a department store, visited a perfumery, or browsed samples in catalogs, you have probably seen terms like "eau de parfum" or "eau de toilette". Each of these products is different. If you are in perfume sales, it is important that you know the differences, so you'll know exactly what you are offering your customers and you can answer any questions they may have. This is also helpful when choosing a fragrance for yourself. You should know what type of scent is appropriate for each occasion so you get the perfume type that best adapts to your needs.
A fragrance has certain amounts of essential oils, alcohol, and water. The concentration of each of these ingredients varies from one perfume to another. The aromatic intensity is directly correlated with the percentage of essential oils – the higher the percentage, the stronger the smell. Following this criteria, we can find different presentations with varying percentages of essential oils.
- The eau de cologne has a notably low concentration of essential oils, between 2% and 4%. It has quite a fresh and light feel, perfect for hot days and use after bathing. Its smell doesn't last long on the skin, only for about 2 hours. If you want to make the scent to last longer, you should re-apply it several times a day. To make this easier, you should keep a perfume carrier in your purse. This concentration is usually found in fragrances created for young people.
- The eau de toilette has a concentration of 5% to 15% essential oils. This is one of the lightest presentations and it is perfect for informal occasions such as going to work or carrying out any morning or afternoon activities. It lasts for approximately 3 hours, and it can be perceived from a distance of 45 cm. or less. If someone walks by your side and leaves a fragrance trail, it is probably an eau de toilette.
- The eau de parfum is made up of over 15% of essential oil concentrations and can reach 20%. It has a long-lasting scent, and can be worn for 5 to 8 hours without reapplying. It has a shorter reach when compared to the eau the toilette and so it can only be perceived at a distance of about 15 cm. Eau de parfum is ideal to be worn in the afternoon or on a special night.
- The parfum or extract has over 20% of essential oils and can reach 30%. A perfume application can last over 24 hours. We suggest you only use this presentation for special events since its concentration is high, making the fragrance too strong to wear every day.
- The elixir has a concentration of 30% to 45%. This is the highest and most exclusive level in the world of perfume. Only a few brands sell elixirs. Elixirs come in small flasks that do not carry more than 30 ml. We suggest that you wear this type of fragrance on formal occasions and during cold days.
If you own a perfume sales business or if you are looking to start one, our company is a great resource for you. Go to our wholesales section to get more information about the business opportunities we have to offer. Follow us on Instagram @bestperfumemiami to learn more about our company and the benefits of choosing us as your perfume provider.